Friday, April 24, 2009

Packing up

I'm still here in Fredericton, going through the junk that has accumulated in my apartment over the past couple of years. It's odd, between myself and a roommate we have filled two large garbage bags with old clothing to donate to the salvation army. So much misfitting, worn out or gaudy clothing. I've been told that Ghana is filled with the stuff, clothing of a wide variety from all over, available for next to nothing being sold in stalls along side produce and sundries. Maybe that is our legacy as human beings, the excessive amounts of unwanted t-shirts and boxer shorts which float around from continent to continent.

Pre-departure training starts on Tuesday. My flight from Fredericton leaves at 6am. I've been told to expect a week of non-stop case studies (for those of you fortunate enough to have not experienced a case study, well I hope you never come to understand why I dread the thought of seven days worth). I can see the use of case studies and I appreciate what I've learned through them, I just feel as though it may be hard to concentrate on random case studies while attempting to prepare myself for the mental shock of landing in Ghana.

If I am correctly interepreting the information sent to me the other day I will be travelling through Rome on my way to Ghana. It will be a six hour stop, it'll also be the first time I've set foot in Rome. When in Rome? Buy a trinket from the airport? Gawk at strangers?

1 comment:

  1. DAPP in Zambia is a store that sells second hand clothing. I came across a shirt with a value village tag on it once... you never know where those clothes might end up!

    ReplyDelete